Sterling Data Room Overview
Sterling is a virtual data rooms provider that offers an online repository for securely storing and sharing sensitive documents and other corporate confidential files.
Sterling Technology started as a financial printing company in 1988 and has extensive experience in information security.
In 2010, Sterling Technology introduced a virtual data room (VDR) product.
The Sterling Technology company is headquartered in London, England, United Kingdom. In 2022, the company was acquired by American-based TransPerfect.
Sterling VDR is now the most popular virtual data room solution in the UK VDR market.
Use cases of Sterling
Knowing how important proofs are, Sterling data room shares its clients’ successful deals. The Sterling virtual data room has created an extensive portfolio of use cases for its blog. That way, anyone thinking about subscribing to a Sterling data room can read about real customer experiences.
A Sterling data room is used mostly for conducting such complex deals as M&As or IPOs. Other common use cases include:
- Bond issuing
- Board reporting
- Auditor review
- Due diligence
Sterling’s technology has improved the deal-making activity of clients from about 187 countries around the world. Sterling Technology’s data room is most popular in the following industries:
- Investment banking
- Life sciences
- Real estate
- Energy and infrastructure
- Private Equity
Sterling features overview
Many Sterling users state that the vendor’s set of features is basic but effective.
- Easy file management. Sterling is easy to set up and use thanks to such features as drag-and-drop upload, automatic document translation, direct email upload, document search, and automatic buy-side document translation.
- Access management. Virtual data room admins can set specific access permissions to only allow authorized users to view certain confidential information.
- Reporting. Sterling offers customizable reporting options, including page-level reporting.
- Branding. Admins can add their company’s look and feel to their VDR space using branding features. However, this feature is only available for an additional fee.
- Collaboration. A Q&A module helps users communicate on certain documents.
- Document security. Every document uploaded to the Sterling virtual data room is kept safe and private thanks to such document security features as redaction and customizable watermarking.
Additionally, the provider is GDPR and DPA compliant and ISO 270001 certified:
- GDPR and DPA compliance. The provider meets the requirements for properly handling clients’ personal data as defined by law.
- ISO 27001 certification. This certification means that the company has taken steps to protect personal and confidential information shared within a virtual data room.
Sterling VDR doesn’t state pricing details on the website. Prospects need to contact sales representatives or the customer support team to get subscription information.
Sterling’s VDR offers customized pricing. Therefore, the final cost depends on duration, storage capacity, and a prospect’s special requirements. Potential users can get a personalized quote after a discussion with a sales representative.
Sterling customers that plan to use a virtual data room for storing purposes only can enjoy a less expensive lite subscription.
It’s also worth mentioning that Sterling doesn’t offer a free trial or free demo but has a longer prep period compared to its competitors (3 months).
Sterling provides a cloud-based SaaS software solution accessible from any computer and browser.
However, there’s no mobile application for Android or iOS users.
Customer support of Sterling
Sterling has a UK-based customer support team that speaks multiple languages and is available 24/7.
Users can reach out via phone, chatbot, or by filling out a contact form.
The scope of features Sterling virtual data room provides was more than enough to conduct our deal. I also like the company’s individualized approach when it comes to pricing; it helped our company to save a lot of money. Among the things I missed, I would definitely name the View As feature and mobile application.
Sterling is the best company I have ever come across in the virtual data room business, after researching many others Sterling came out top in every category!
This is a nice and convenient data room I really like using every day. Sterling makes it easy for me to manage the documents, and my partners also have no issues with it. I especially like how the support team works - specialists always answer very quickly and offer real extended help. If I have any issues, they will always aid me.
Sterling was my choice because it’s an old company, and I tend to trust those who have managed to survive for decades. I really don’t want my corporate files to vanish if something happens to the provider. With Sterling, I don’t have such a fear. Its data room is reliable and very easy to use.
I like that Sterling gets very involved with each client. The provider helped us greatly with the onboarding, and if we get any new questions - support guys are always there to answer them. I enjoy feeling such care, especially considering that the service is not quite cheap.